Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Boogie with Canned Heat


Fantastic cover art. A great representation of the psychedelic motifs that were prevalent in 1968 when this LP was released.

This was Canned Heat's second LP, and it contained their huge hit "On the Road Again." What an utterly iconic staple of the era. It is so unlike Willie Nelson's later hit of the same name, and even less like Katie Melua's latest entry (not that either of these were necessarily "bad"). It is hynotic, captivating, and delightful. Canned Heat's "On the Road Again" should absolutely be included on anyone's list of favorites.

That well-loved song aside, I was in awe again of the whole LP when I played it. It had been so long since I had listened to it I had completely forgotten how great it was. Actually, I am pretty sure I appreciated it MUCH more in my middle-age than I did in my stupefied teen years.

A delighted collector in France found this one in his mail one day a few years ago (Oct 2007). I'll be happily keeping all of its tracks in rotation on my iPod indefinitely.

The back of the jacket is also worth sharing:


No comments:

Post a Comment