Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Which Way Shall I Go?

I've been pondering what approach I want to take in this space. Do I do a new post for every LP I record, and provide a little history and a bit of a review? Do I simply pop in occasionally and list the LPs I've recorded since I last posted? How much information do I include?



I am completing an Excel spreadsheet as I go along on the recording process. I keep the spreadsheet sorted by song title by default, but of course I can re-sort at will to Album Title, Year of Release, Artist, Label, Inventory #, or the date I recorded it to digits. It is a great deal of fun as I run into various covers of popular songs. Also, there are many very interesting titles, both long and short. I reckon I will include at a minimum the information I am cataloging in my spreadsheet.



I should probably conceive a method of titling each post so it is consistent, too. Maybe include the artist and the album and maybe the genre. Genre can be a bit of a problem, though, sometimes, because the basic categories of yesteryear have become significantly blurred, fused, mashed-up and otherwise re-arranged. I'll have to think about that one.



One thing I believe I will do is make my next post a quick listing of about ninety (90) LPs that I recorded then sold on eBay a couple of years ago. In some cases I might also note how much the buyers were willing to pay. That piece of info was not always interesting, but sometimes it was pretty happy news when the auction was over and I sat looking at the screen with a silly grin on my face.



Anyway, I sometimes yearn to have some of those albums back in my possession, but at this point, I have decided that the music itself is what I am truly after. Even though I thoroughly enjoy looking at, handling, and poring over the LPs and their jackets and sleeves, I am increasingly of the opinion that I certainly do not need to keep 2,500 albums idling in my garage.



So. Next post, just for posterity - a list of the LPs to which I have already bid a fond farewell. Perhaps a few comments here and there about certain ones. Maybe a pic or two of jackets and sleeves.

And here is an example just to prove to myself that I can successfully upload a pic to a post:




















OK, then! Tally-ho!

No comments:

Post a Comment